According to a 2019 Gallup study:
*U.S. church membership is down sharply in the past two decades. It was 70% or higher from 1937 through 1976, falling modestly to an average of 68% in the 1970s through the 1990s. The past 20 years have seen an acceleration in the drop-off, with a 20-percentage-point decline since 1999 and more than half of that change occurring since the start of the current decade.
The reason for the decline is:
- Not because prayer isn’t allowed at school.
- Not because “God” is left out of the pledge of allegiance.
- Not because people aren’t patriotic.
- Not because kids don’t respect their elders or the flag.
- Not because our youth aren’t raised right anymore.
- Not because of “the Muslims”.
- Not because of immigrants.
- Not because of wall-less borders.
- Not because of gay marriage.
- Not because of transgender bathrooms.
- Not because of social programs to non-working people.
- Not because of “right” or “left”.
- Not because of gun laws or lack thereof.
- Not because the world has gone to hell.
- Not because the good old days are over.
Many, many individuals and churches are the exception, but the cause of Christianity’s rapid decline in attendance is …
The people inside.
*Paragraph from Gallup article written by Jeffrey M. Jones, April 18, 2019
*Song credit of ‘I Won’t Sing Here Anymore’ belongs to Marvin Ross © 2019 Marvin Webster Ross (ASCAP) Narrow Dude Music